This course is for clinicians who are ready for a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the treatment of oral habits in the 21st century. The first of it’s kind, this course combines cutting edge research with evidence-based learning to show clinicians how to help their patients with complex oral habits such as thumb and finger sucking behaviors.
Based on research published by The Thumbsucking Clinic™ in The International Dental Journal, this course will teach an individualized treatment approach based on physiological and psychological principles through both didactic and kinesthetic learning over 2 days.
On Day 1, you will learn and understand the foundations of the etiology of noxious thumb and finger sucking habits and the complexities of the individualized assessment. On Day 2, we supplement the foundations taught on Day 1 by providing you with comprehensive treatment planning and program delivery illustrations utilizing real-life case studies and patient experiences.
This course is a practice enhancer for dental clinicians, orofacial myologists or SLPs who are looking to expand their patient base and provide satisfying treatment for children and families.
Sign up today
Spots filling fast
Course Outline: Day 1
- Craniofacial and Dental development and impact in the first 4 years
- Non-nutritive sucking and it’s role in infancy and beyond
- Current and emerging research and treatment in non-nutritive habits
- Introduction to The Thumbsucking Clinic Sucking Paradigms™
- The 4 Tenets of the Physiological Paradigm
- Physiological Paradigm (hands-on workshop)
- The 4 Tenets of the Psychological Paradigm
Course Outline: Day 2
- The Thumbsucking Clinic™ new patient assessment protocol
- Treatment sequencing & planning, report writing and referrals
- Writing, designing and delivering a personalized program
- The Thumbsucking Clinic™ Quit Program – a cutting edge individualized solution for patients
- Understanding Pacifier Habits – the new treatment protocol
- Case studies workshop